There have been many milestones in the long history of Rutherford Memorial in Corryton. In 2009, we celebrated 175 years of the Methodist Church in this area.
Methodism got its start in this area around 1834 with the establishment of Old Mount Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church near the Union County line. The building was a log structure and was used as an annual camp meeting site. These meetings could last as long as a month at a time.
Some time near the close of the Civil War in 1865, the Northern division of the church moved to a location near Walnut Grove Academy and established the Rocky Dale M.E. Church. The Southern division stayed at the Old Mount Pleasant location until near the end of the century.
In 1894, the president of the Corryton Town Company, Corryton M. Woodbury gave the M.E. Church South "in consideration to the sum of one dollar" two lots. In 1898, the M.E. Church South moved from the Mount Pleasant location and into a new building. The church was renamed the Corryton Methodist Episcopal Church South. This same year, the Rocky Dale Methodist Episcopal Church moved to Corryton and was renamed the Corryton Methodist Episcopal Church. These two churches were located across the street from one another (pictured above). As executor of the will of Catherine M. Woodbury, Corryton M. Woodbury was once again involved with the gift of lots used as the location of the church.
The M.E. Church South was on the Macedonia Circuit until 1916 when the Corryton Circuit was created. A meeting of The Uniting Conference of the Methodist Church met in 1939 served to bring the divided churches back together under the same name, though it wasn't until the following year that the churches merged.
The present stone building "on the hill" was completed in 1948 during the pastorate of Reverend W.H. Leming. The building was made possible by the generosity of Mr. and Mrs. P.P. Rutherford. A plaque remains on the wall at the rear of the current sanctuary to this day. Stones used in the construction of the current building are fieldstones from the farm of Mr. Ira Perrin.
In 1967, an education wing was attached to the stone building housing numerous classrooms and a fellowship hall (now the site of the Corryton Hospitality Pantry). Again, the church saw new construction with the addition of the Family Life Center which was dedicated in November 1997. The new building added additional classrooms, a gymnasium, large kitchen and stage area. Currently, the Family Life Center hosts a variety of activities, including the contemporary service on Sunday mornings, Wednesday night suppers, line dancing, Scout meetings, youth meetings, children's activities and many more community events.